The "stage coach bonus recruits" event will not bend to my will.

Interested in mods for Darkest Dungeon? Come here to discuss existing mods or find help in creating your own mod!
Hugo Fourhed
Seeker
Seeker

The "stage coach bonus recruits" event will not bend to my will.

Postby Hugo Fourhed » Fri May 25, 2018 6:30 pm

I recently made a mod that allows players to skip both the Old Road dungeon and the pre-determined first crypt dungeon. (I don't want to violate the rules about advertising so I won't link to it here to be on the safe side.) While I have succeeded in doing this, there is one problem remaining; I am having difficulty making the initial party not be the vestal/doctor/highwayman/crusader combo.

My first approach was to try and edit the savegame's roster, but I've found this to be unstable. By this I mean scripts\starting_save\persist.roster.json. While I can add a third teammate with no problems, a fourth one causes a crash. Even if it didn't, though, the extra teammates would have to be predetermined, and we all love the RNG with stage coach recruits, right? Of course we do. Moving on.

My second approach was to try and create an event that mimics the "extra recruits arriving on the stage coach" one, and here I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Now, most town events are in base.town_events.events.json, and these can be beaten, they can be made to work 100% on week 1. I had no issues making a duplicate of the "Crypt bonus resolve and damage" event. However, the stage coach event is in a file of its own, mode.town_events.events.json. And no matter what I try, this will not listen to me. Instead, I've been laid low and driven into the mud.

My current stopgap is to simply increase the stagecoach size for gratis at the beginning of the game, but this feels like a cop out. Does anyone have any ideas about how to get the bonus recruit town event to work? Failing that, is there a way to expand the bonus crusaders/lepers/etc. town events to be multiclass?

Return to “Modding”