Darkest Failures

Our general discussion board for Darkest Dungeon.
HisInfernal
Seeker
Seeker

Darkest Failures

Postby HisInfernal » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:35 pm

Another life wasted in the pursuit of glory and gold.

Hello. Let me start by saying I both love and hate this game. The RNGesus is the strongest I've ever seen. Sometimes it's amazing, like when you land that final crit that saves the expedition. But also so bad...
So in this topic let us discuss the worse experience we had in this domain of darkness and madness.
I'm first!
It was a cold night of february , about a week ago. This little crusader stood up an entire night grinding up a team to face the Flesh (lvl 5). All was great, 'till I ventured into the dungeon. A Hellion, proud and destructive, a Hound Master, ready to unleash his hound on any atrocity that dared stood in his way, a Vestal, a saint among men, and an Arbalest, steady on his mark. We pushed forward to the beasts lair, crushing everything in our path. We decided to make camp in the room next to the monster and prepare ourselves. We were determined, we go and kill the beast, or die trying. How foolish of us. On our path we had to face one more group of enemies to reach the Flesh. Confidence surging, we pushed forward. Surprise, surprise...a Shambler. The beast put up a fight, but with one last effort, we took it down. Victory was close, or so we thought. The Shambler left us bleeding, but we could make it, that if RNGesus was on our side...but he wasn't. As the last minion was sitting at the blink of extinction, things went wrong. All the brave heroes started missing every hit, and with every hit the minion threw at us, he grew stronger, we grew desperate. The first to slip into insanity was our Vestal, becoming fearful, followed by the Hellion, Arbalest and Hound Master. The Vestal was also the one to die first, making a wrong move and passing her turn, leaving everyone hopeless and wounded. One by one they fell. The Hellion was last, and with it's last breath, landed a crit. My heart grew, hoping that after I could retreat to my hamlet with my precious trinkets. Foolish hope, as the crit did not do enough damage to kill that little thing. At last my precious Junia's Head was gone, along with Disma's.
You will endure this loss, and learn from it.

Oh but I did not learned.

Days later I find myself back in the possession of my precious heads, along with a nice collection of the Mad Man's music boxes (Aria, Crescendo and Overture), along with a large array of ancestral and very rare trinkets. I'm a loot wh*re, so imagine my happiness that I got my hands on such rare beauties.

But as I said. I did not learn.

So tonight I planed a long campaign into the Weald (lvl5), hunting for an Ancestor's Portrait. Another proud Vestal at my side, a Grave Robber ready to practice it's trowing right into the hearts of our enemies, a Bounty Hunter slicing and hooking trough endless waves of monsters, and a Leper standing tall, chopping the opposition. We make our way to the first room , but not three steps away of our safe zone and The Collector decides he wants our heads. We made short work of him and his ghostly corpses. Glorious, we keep marching, pushing forward to the next room. Nothing of interest there, so we make a right, but RNGesus strikes again. A Shambler. REVENGE ! ...or so I hoped... The thing was most vicious this time, landing crit after crit after crit . Spraying blight and biting deep into our small party, leaving us bleeding and driving us closer to insanity. And if it did not succeeded , it's minions took care of the job. This time the Bounty Hunter slipped into madness first, followed by everybody. Blooded and beaten, left with no bandage and no antivenom, with 4 mad men draining their life for my stupid quest, I decided to run. But RNGesus had other plans for me. Four retreats, four fails ...for more moves wasted, too much damage taken. A flame burnt in my heart, and I decided to fight, for this time one will be victorious. And I was...for a while. The Shambler laid dead, but it's minions, those are the true monsters. One by one my dear heroes had heart attacks ...and I could not do anything to save them. Along their expensive equipment, Junia's Head was long again, alongside the Crescendo and Overture boxes. Lost my entire reserve of Moon Rings as well, and a Sacred Scroll. I ...I....want to die...

So , these are two of my worse encounters with RNGesus 'till now. Sorry it was so long. Be glad to hear some of your stories, that if anybody is interested. And remember ...
Death cannot be escaped! But it can be postponed.

ax232
Seeker
Seeker

Re: Darkest Failures

Postby ax232 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:47 am

God have mercy. I can't even imagine losing all that loot. It's been a while since I've fought with RNGessus since many dank dungeons have taught me how to git gud, but if I think back to it I can remember a triple crit skull toss on to my occultist. I can't remember details, but in the situation I got so angry I very nearly punched a hole in the wall.

P.s you called the arbalest a he. They are a girl.
What do your write when you don't know what to write?
Well you just write about what you want to write about right?
But if that doesn't work just write about not knowing what to write.

HisInfernal
Seeker
Seeker

Postby HisInfernal » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:57 am

ax232 wrote:God have mercy. I can't even imagine losing all that loot. It's been a while since I've fought with RNGessus since many dank dungeons have taught me how to git gud, but if I think back to it I can remember a triple crit skull toss on to my occultist. I can't remember details, but in the situation I got so angry I very nearly punched a hole in the wall.

P.s you called the arbalest a he. They are a girl.

yeah . I know it's a she, but keep in mind it was 4 a.m. when I wrote that. but still, no excuse on my side

manowar
Seeker
Seeker

Postby manowar » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:46 am

Where to start...

First, you start the game with a crusader who steals your loot. And its not a random negative, its intended to be like this, may be to get an "easy" start.
Then you got your starting heroes with "random" skills, where "random" never includes stress healing skills. May be to make you have an "easy" start.
Then in the tavern you get "random" heroes, where "random" means no jester, may be to get an "easy" start by lowering the stress on your starting heroes.
Then you build nice heroes with nice speed items, skills and buffs, but guess what, the game is designed to DROW a number that can send your speed to where I wanna send the idiots who designed the game. No offence meant (not sure thou).
Then you build your heroes to get a nice virtue, but guess what, its never 100%. I "wonder" why.
Then your heroes get crimson curse and EVERY single turn they screw your tactics up to the point you want kill yourself (in my case to hurt the game designers really bad - and i am a very peaceful person!).
Then, you manage to pull a nice ammount of dodge - 100+, but guess what, your high dodge hero gets critted and dies, with less than 5% chance to be hit. To prevent this od happening again you use the crusader skill Bulwark of Faith, which is meant to be a tounting skill, but guess what, enemies dont give a single piece of crap about that, they just attack your high dodge hero, crit it and kill it.
There is planty more, where all these came from, but i dont wanna turn my post into a novel.

Once upon a time I played a game which had a very good ideas, but was developed so badly, it died before even it was released. I thought it was very unfortuned coincindence.
Now im sure it wasnt a coincidence - all games with a great potencial, fall into the hands of the most incompetent and incapable developers.

No offence (im not sure thou!)

HisInfernal
Seeker
Seeker

Postby HisInfernal » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:03 pm

manowar wrote:Where to start...

First, you start the game with a crusader who steals your loot. And its not a random negative, its intended to be like this, may be to get an "easy" start.
Then you got your starting heroes with "random" skills, where "random" never includes stress healing skills. May be to make you have an "easy" start.
Then in the tavern you get "random" heroes, where "random" means no jester, may be to get an "easy" start by lowering the stress on your starting heroes.
Then you build nice heroes with nice speed items, skills and buffs, but guess what, the game is designed to DROW a number that can send your speed to where I wanna send the idiots who designed the game. No offence meant (not sure thou).
Then you build your heroes to get a nice virtue, but guess what, its never 100%. I "wonder" why.
Then your heroes get crimson curse and EVERY single turn they screw your tactics up to the point you want kill yourself (in my case to hurt the game designers really bad - and i am a very peaceful person!).
Then, you manage to pull a nice ammount of dodge - 100+, but guess what, your high dodge hero gets critted and dies, with less than 5% chance to be hit. To prevent this od happening again you use the crusader skill Bulwark of Faith, which is meant to be a tounting skill, but guess what, enemies dont give a single piece of crap about that, they just attack your high dodge hero, crit it and kill it.
There is planty more, where all these came from, but i dont wanna turn my post into a novel.

Once upon a time I played a game which had a very good ideas, but was developed so badly, it died before even it was released. I thought it was very unfortuned coincindence.
Now im sure it wasnt a coincidence - all games with a great potencial, fall into the hands of the most incompetent and incapable developers.

No offence (im not sure thou!)

RNGesus. And it's not that bad. I find it quite good in it's unpredictability

Lazor
Seeker
Seeker

Postby Lazor » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:19 pm

I'm a little worried OP is becoming the actual ancestor- driven mad by his pursuit of wealth.

I once had to dismiss a lvl 5 Hellion for becoming abusive and killing a Grave Robber, who was on death's door. I know it ultimately made me worse off, but I just couldn't look at her the same way after that.

TheSevenWarlocks
Seeker
Seeker

Postby TheSevenWarlocks » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:22 am

I've failed about every way there is, but the way the creatures gang up on a single party member in the darkest dungeon is maddening. I suspect that when I defeat the game (which I will) it will be after the longest time of anyone, ever. I'm on week 470 right now.

jago984
Seeker
Seeker

Postby jago984 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:47 am

It is fun to see how many people do not understand what really is darkest dungeon even if developers say it quite openly with the starting disclaimer... so, just for helping your memory, here you are:

"Darkest Dungeon is about making the best of a bad situation. Quests will fail or must be abandoned. Heroes will die. And when they die, they stay dead. Progress autosaves constantly, so actions are permanent.
The game expects a lot out of you. How far will you push your adventurers? How much are you willing to risk in your quest to restore the Hamlet? What will you sacrifice to save the life of your favourite hero?"

Personally I think that Darkest Dungeon is really an horrorific experience instead of just a difficult videogame.
It doesn't matter how strong you are or which trinkets you gained, death and madness are always at your side and you can just make your best efforts to fight against them.

Said that here is my favourite personal story of madness...

I was in the Warrens, I just easily purged that atrocities the previous mission and I wanted to do it again with the same team.
There was no fear in my mind cause I just found the perfect duo to get rid of those abominations and that's when overconfidence slowly killed me.
First room, first encounter, double critical hit on my Bounty Hunter and deathblow before the healer could do anything.
I managed to escape with all my trinkets but it learned that no one is safe in Darkest Dungeon.
"Success so clearly in view... or it is merely a trick of the light?"

Return to “The Tavern”